Fast Food For Fit Families
Tasty Turkey Meatloaf
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 onions, peeled and sliced
• 2 tsp of bottled basil pesto
• 4 button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
• 2 pounds of ground turkey
• 1/2 cup of skim milk
• 1/2 cup of instant oatmeal
• 2 omega 3 enriched eggs
• 1/2 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
• A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Preheat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and then add the oil and onions. Sauté them until they are golden brown. Add the mushrooms and continue sautéing until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms have lightly browned. Add the pesto and mix with the mushrooms and onions.
3. In a large bowl mix together the turkey, milk, oatmeal, eggs, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and mushroom mixture. Season well with salt and pepper. Press the mixture into a loaf pan, and bake until lightly browned on top and firm, about 1 hour.
* Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes to make it easy to slice.
Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (1/2 tsp table salt)
2 1/2 pounds chicken wings
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or melted butter)
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (like Lawry’s)
*Fat Free Sour Cream or Plan Yogurt for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, rosemary, cumin and salt. Lay the chicken wings on a baking sheet and season the chicken wings with this mixture.
2. Bake the chicken wings for 45 minutes. While the chicken is baking, mix together the oil, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and seasoning salt.
3. When the chicken is cooked through, toss the wings with the garlic, cheese and oil.
These wings maybe lower in calories but they make up for it in FLAVOR!
So here are 3 Tips for Wicked Wings that cuts the fat and sugar from your normal pub grub wings that are usually battered, deep fried and drowned in sugar laden sauce that will send your pancreas into insulin overdrive.
1. Baked Is Better- Baking the wings in the oven or even grilling them removes a lot of the grease from the skin and avoids adding even more fat by frying them in oil.
2. Spice Not Sugar- Avoid drowning your wings in sugary bbq sauce and use fresh herbs and spices to bring them to life and create fiery flavors.
3. Ditch the Dressing- Stay away from the Ranch and Blue Cheese dressings for dips and opt for Fat-Free Sour Cream or even Plain Yogurt to cooldown your palette after going heavy on the hot sauce.
Multigrain Fusilli with Sausage
1 box of multigrain fusilli pasta
6tsp of olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloved of garli
1 bell pepper chopped
6 sundried tomatoes chopped
4 Italian sausages diced
a sprinkle of salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and chili flakes
grated romano cheese
Boil pasta for 12 mins and drain
Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic and onions for 5 minutes
Add peppers, tomatoes and sausage and cook through
Add cooked pasta to mixture and stir
Top with Romano cheese
Super Simple Bacon Wrapped Scallops
1 lb. sea scallops
Lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 c. butter
1 lb. sliced bacon
– Preheat broiler.
– Rinse scallops under cold water to wash off any remaining grits of sand.
– Dip sea scallops in melted butter. Sprinkle both sides of scallops with lemon pepper seasoning.
– Wrap each with 1/2 slice of bacon. Fasten with toothpick.
– Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and oregano over bacon wrapped scallops
– Broil, turning once, for 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
Peanut Butter Protein Balls
1.5 cups of instant oats
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
2 scoops of chocolate whey protein
1 cup of unsweetned coconut flakes
ds1 cup of crushed walnuts
3/4 cup of water
-Mix oats, protein , peanut butter and 1/2 cup of coconut in bowl
-Slowly add water mixing until moist and sticky but not wet
-Form into small balls and roll in plate of crushed walnuts and coconut flakes
Let cool in fridge for 1 hour
-2 ice cubes
-2 cups of water
-2 scoops of protein powder
-1 spoonful of extra virgin olive oil
-2 spoonfuls of ground flaxseed
-1/4 cup of greek yogurt
-1 cup of frozen mixed berries
-2 nuggets of frozen spinach
Blend on high for 20 seconds..Drink up!
Spanish Scrambled Eggs
4 Whole Omega 3 Eggs
1 Green onion
Pinch of Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
Salt and pepper
Splash of skim milk
-Scrambled eggs in non stick skillet
-Add chopped green onion, salt and pepper
-When done add a dash of skim milk and some tex mix cheese and let sit for 5 minutes.
Crispy Crab Cakes
1 can of crab meat
2 tbsp minced jalapenos
2 green onions
1/2 of minced red bell pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tsp dijon mustard
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 425 F
Mix everything in a bowl except 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
Using your hands form the crab cakes into patties.
Spread the remaining bread crumbs on a plate and coat each pattie in the crumbs.
Shape each breaded crab cake into patties the size of hockey pucks….
Place them on a non-stick baking sheet. I like to cover the baking sheet with parchment paper for no stick and easy clean-up.
Bake for 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.
Top with a spoonful of plain yogurt or seafood sauce. Enjoy!
Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry
1 pkg of Italian Turkey Sausage (hot)
1 bag of Artic Garden’s frozen mixed veggies (Thai)
For the sausages: Pre-heat skillet over medium heat, then add sausages and 250ML (1 cup) of water. Cover and heat for 10 minutes, turning sausages once. Remove cover, and cook until golden brown (Approximately 10 minutes).
Slice up sausages and set aside.
For the veggies: Pour vegetables in a microwaveable dish with 1/4 cup of water. Add vegetables. Cook in microwave on high power for recommended time.
Throw cooked sausage slices and cooked veggies back in skillet and stir and fry for a couple minutes.
Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
seasoning of choice for chicken
THREAD chicken and pineapple alternately onto 4 pre-soaked wooden skewers.
HEAT grill to medium heat. Grill kabobs 12 to 15 min. or until chicken is done, turning occasionally.
Serve a Summer Salad on the side using fresh baby spinach, garlic goat cheese, chopped cucumber and cantaloupe. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Crockpot Pulled Pork Sandwiches
1 boneless pork loin roast
1 can of beer
1 can of beef broth
1 large sliced onion
1/2 cup of bbq sauce
dash of garlic powder
Put pork, beer, broth, onions and spices in crock pot.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
When done shred the meat with a fork, and place back in crock pot with remaining sauce and stir to coat.
Serve on toasted multi-grain rolls with coleslaw on the side.
Jacked & Juicy Chicken Tacos
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pit removed
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
2 limes (1 quartered)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 jalapeno peppers
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings
1. First, make the guacamole: In a mixing bowl, combine the avocado, garlic, cilantro, and juice of one lime. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat a grill on medium high. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the chicken pieces and then rub them with the cumin, and chili powder or cayenne. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Add the chicken, whole jalapenos, and onion rings to the grill. Cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until it’s lightly charred and firm to the touch. Cook the jalapenos and onions for the same amount of time, turning them to make sure they caramelize evenly.
3. Serve the grilled chicken with the guac, grilled vegetables, hunks of fresh lime, and more cilantro.
Eat with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1 cup Tex Mex Shredded Cheese, divided
1/3 cup thick and chunky salsa, divided
1 pouch SHAKE’N BAKE Classic Herb and Parmesan Crusted
PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
Place 2 of the chicken breasts in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bag.
Pound chicken with the side of a heavy can, rolling pin or meat mallet until chicken is 1/4-inch thick.
Remove chicken from bag; set aside. Repeat with remaining 2 chicken breasts.
Place chicken, top-sides down, on large cutting board.
Spread each breast with 2 Tbsp. of the cheese and 1 Tbsp. of the salsa. Starting at one of the short ends, tightly roll up each chicken breast.
EMPTY coating mixture into pie plate. Moisten chicken roll-ups with water; add to coating mix, turning over to evenly coat all sides. Place, seam-sides down, in foil-lined 8-inch square baking dish.
BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is cooked through (170°F), topping chicken with the remaining salsa and remaining cheese for the last 5 min. of the baking time.
12 whole wheat Lasagna Noodles
1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
1-2 tbsp olive oil 15-30 mL
6.5 oz spinach, trimmed and chopped
1 jar (700 mL) Pasta Sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
500grams ricotta or cottage cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1-1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions.
Sauté onion and pepper in oil until tender.
Add spinach; cook until just wilted. Stir in pasta sauce and heat through.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix together ricotta, feta, Parmesan cheeses and egg.
In 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish, layer ¼ of the pasta sauce.
Top with three lasagne noodles, ¼ sauce and three more noodles.
Spread cheese mixture over noodles. Top with three more noodles, ¼ sauce, remaining noodles and ¼ sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.
Cover and bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven for 45-50 minutes or until cooked through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Chunky Chicken Salad Sandwich
1/2 Avocado, mashed
1 cup chopped Chicken
1/4 cup Celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup Green Onion, finely Chopped
1/4 red bell peper, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp plain Yogurt
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cumin
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Serve on some 100% multigrain bread with some baby spinach instead of plain sad looking wilted lettuce and you got a quick and healthy meal in minutes.
Sean Barker is a busy dad who finds time for family, fitness and fun. He likes pumping iron as well as producing it, as a heavy equipment
operator in the iron ore mines. He is ALSO a nationally certified personal trainer who writes for Fit Parent and Inside Fitness magazines and is the author of The Dad Fitness System at www.DadFitness.com. Sean also has a Dad Fitness Blog with tips, thoughts, and humor on being a fit dad at DadFitnessBlog.com.