Week 7 is now over and it has the nation looking at this year’s first BCS rankings. Some of this year’s top teams had a very sloppy Saturday but we still have seven undefeated teams in the Top 10. Here are the highlights as we head into BCS season.
- In the AP rankings poll, Alabama jumped over Florida for the #1 spot due the continued struggles of the Gator offense. Florida faced a potential scare in a long game for one of the nation’s best defenses in which they scraped a win by a field goal 23-20.
- #14 Virginia Tech saw themselves fall out of the top ten after a loss to #12 Georgia Tech with the Hokies defense unable to stop the Yellowjacket triple option offense that gave the Hokies nearly five turnovers. Josh Nesbitt ran for 122 yards with 3 touchdowns including the game winning 39 yard run in the 4th Quarter.
- We also have seen #19 Ohio State fall out of the top ten this week with horrible play at Quarterback from Terrelle Pryor facing an unranked Purdue squad that was looking to stop the running game , the Boilermakers did well keeping the Buckeye offense to a unusual 66 yards on the ground.
- In the top five this week #3 Texas played a hard fought game this weekend in the Red River Rivalry against now unranked Oklahoma in Dallas. The Sooners faced a scare in the first quarter with Sam Bradford re-injuring is throwing shoulder, and they were not able to overcome the efforts of one of the best second half teams in the nation in Texas. Colt McCoy showed his grit on a night his poor passing led to a late game interception in which he made a game saving tackle to keep the Longhorns alive, 16-13.
- #4 Boise State stayed undefeated after a very close game against Tulsa on Thursday night getting two first half turnovers to elevate to yet another out of town victory.
- #2 Alabama continues to prove they are one of the best in the nation on both sides of the ball pulling out a victory against conference rival #24 South Carolina. Mark Ingram rushed for a career high 246 yards on 24 carries making a case for this year’s Heisman race.
- One of the plays of the week came from a #8 undefeated TCU team with an amazing 69 yard punt return touchdown from Jeremy Kerley before halftime, helping them to a victory over Colorado State.
- One of this week’s best games had # 7 USC taking on a now unranked Notre Dame team. Both teams brough their offensive firepower to another level, both QB’s played very well , although I have to say that I was very impressed with the play of Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen as I believe he has stepped his game up tremendously this season, and he is showing why he was one the nation’s most sought after recruits coming out of High School.
- #9 LSU had this week off to get back to basics after a close loss to #1 Florida last week. The Tigers have a tough game ahead of them this week facing a tough Auburn team .
- # 5 Cincinnati had their toughest win of the season against South Florida but it came with the loss of their Heisman candidate QB Tony Pike. Pike injured his wrist in the second half of Saturday’s game and remains doubtful for this weekend’s play.
- # 6 Iowa earned a tough road win against #21 Wisconsin, overcoming a ten point deficit to win 20-10 victory which is good news, due to them having another tough road game next week facing Michigan State .
- #10 Miami had a great week and won against Central Florida making them 5-1 for the first time since 2005 and keeping QB Jacory Harris in the Heisman race as well.
- I was also happy to see #13 Penn State show the nation why their defense is one of the best in College football only giving up 138 total yards and zero points for a win against Minnesota .
Also noted this week, is that the Heisman race is up for grabs at the moment like always at this time of the year. It seems that Tim Tebow’s heart is garnering more votes than his current playmaking ability, and we are starting to see Mark Ingram come very close to the top spot. It is hard to argue the remarkable play by Norte Dame’s Jimmy Clausen making him a viable candidate as well, and with Tony Pike being hurt at the moment, we may see a potential shake up in the coming weeks.
There are a few key matchups to make sure you keep your eye on this week, #2 Alabama vs Tennessee, #13 Penn State vs Michigan and #10 Miami vs Clemson. Florida is looking to get back on track with their offense this week as Alabama is looking to show the nation that they are the number one contenders in the BCS division. Overall it was an exciting week of college football and we are starting to which teams truly are powerful enough to make that championship push and which teams are simply irrelevant. Keep looking at The Father Life each week for the College Football Wrap-Up.
Bobby Wren is a contributing sports enthusiast living out of El Paso, TX. He is currently involved in business and enjoys cooking for his family in his spare time. Bobby has been married for four years and has two wonderful children.