Did you have to pay the airlines “overweight” on your way home from your last business trip? …and no I am not talking about your luggage.
For a lot of busy dads it seems just when we get on a role with our workouts and healthy eating, it all goes out the window when we have to go out of town for work.
I recently spent a week in Tampa, Florida, attending and speaking at fitness seminars with all the top fitness professionals, and I started to pick up on some of the secrets these guys use to stay in awesome shape even while spending a lot of time on the road.
So here are The 5 Best Ways To Stay In Shape While Traveling…
1. Workout No Matter What. After a busy 5 days of sitting on my butt in meetings and seminars I still managed to workout 4 out of the 5 days while in Florida, which is even more than I workout at home! The first day I got together with some fellow trainers and we trained together in the hotel gym. It wasn’t very big but had enough to get a great workout using our bodyweight and a few dumbbells. Then the next day we all headed to the local Powerhouse gym to get a great workout in a more upbeat gym atmosphere. Whether it’s a quick hotel room body-weight workout, a hotel gym workout or a big gym workout, just make sure you do some exercise while traveling to offset all the sitting down on airplanes and in meetings.
2. All You Can Eat. The great thing about traveling to new cities is experiencing new places to eat. But if you’re not careful, your wife will have more of you to love when you get home. So do what all the fit trainers did every morning to start their day off right: eat a nutritious breakfast. Even though our hotel served a FREE buffet breakfast every morning, most everyone who is in great shape skipped the bacon and breads and had a huge freshly prepared omelet stuffed with veggies with a little fruit on the side. Keep lunch small with a salad or whole grain wrap so you don’t get sleepy during the afternoon meetings, and enjoy a nice dinner with some lean meat and veggies and even a glass of wine.
3. Drink Up. I don’t mean spend your nights at the hotel bar getting sloshed. I mean drink lots of cold refreshing water. It will keep you full and focused and your mind off the donuts and croissants sitting across the conference table. It’s really easy to drink lots of H2O during these hotel conferences as they usually serve you pitchers of water in your meeting rooms and in the big conference rooms. Just to be sure you always have water on hand; pick up a couple of liters of spring water at the hotel gift shop and keep them on ice in your room.
4. Ditch the Cab. If you are up for some sight seeing or heading to a nearby restaurant for dinner, ditch the cab fare, get some directions and walk there instead. Google Maps on your smart phone works great for this! Walking is a great way to see a new city and burn some calories. Strolling back to the hotel after dinner is a great way to end the evening and ease the guilt from that decadent dessert. You can also try to find a park or gym a couple miles away and walk or run there to get your heart pumping and your warm-up out of the way.
5. Recharge. If you’re traveling solo, staying at a hotel is a great way to get some extra rest and relaxation. You get the bed to yourself, and you have no worries of the kids jumping in the bed at the wee hours of the morning. It’s also a great time to catch up on some work or to read that book you have been trying to get through. A dip in the hotel pool and a hot sauna afterward might be just what you need to recharge your batteries before you get back on the road.
So there you have it, The 5 Best Ways To Stay In Shape While Traveling… so you’re wife still recognizes you when you get home.
Image credit: RRRuslan