You are trying to stay away from all the obvious fatty offenders, you switched from white bread to whole wheat, and many items in your fridge have “probiotics” or “omega-3s” added to them.
Well, you may think you’re eating healthy. But are you eating these 5 must have foods for men?
These 5 Super-foods will give you some powerful nutrients to make sure you are on your way to living a long and healthy life so you can be the strong dad you need to be for years to come.
1. Tomatoes – This plump red FRUIT provides a powerful punch, especially for men. Yes, it is a fruit, not a vegetable. If it has seeds, its considered a fruit. You might have heard of the powerful nutrient in tomatoes called lycopene. Lycopene has been show to be beneficial in preventing prostate cancer in men. To absorb this wonderful nutrient the tomatoes need to be broken down, such as in tomato sauce and tomato juice.
2. Oysters – Don’t pass on these slimy sea mollusks just yet. Oysters are a high quality protein source that are great for building lean muscle. They also provide heart healthy omega 3s as well as another prized nutrient that every man should have in their diet. Oysters have been known for centuries as a libido enhancer. This is mainly from the high concentration of zinc. Most men today are shown to be deficient in this vital nutrient. It aids in testosterone production, which gives us strength and energy in the gym as well as in the bedroom. For those of you who can’t stomach oysters, pumpkin seeds are another great source of zinc that can be added to foods such as salads, oatmeal, and mixed nuts.
3. Brazil Nuts – Nuts are a great nutrient-dense snack full of fiber, healthy fats, and even protein. Brazil nuts especially are high in selenium. Brazil nuts may contain as much as 544 micrograms of selenium per ounce. Just one Brazil nut will give you your recommended daily allowance of the selenium. This mineral is crucial in antioxidant production in your body to fight off disease.
4. Broccoli – We all hear how good this green cruciferous vegetables is for us. But most men don’t know how beneficial broccoli really is for our health and longevity. More and more evidence is mounting showing the anti-cancer benefits in this super food. Look at broccoli as “nature’s brooms,” as they are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that clean your arteries and keep your cells strong and healthy throughout your body.
5. Flaxseed – This little seed is loaded with nutrients. A lot of people know flaxseeds are a good source of healthy fats and fiber. But the mistake they make is eating the seeds whole. For your body to absorb the fats, flaxseeds need to be ground before they are eaten. A coffee grinder is great for this, or you can buy organic milled flaxseed. Ground flaxseed is great to add to cereal, oatmeal, burgers, meatballs, shakes and stews. Store ground flaxseed in the fridge to prevent oxidation of the healthy fats. With all the talk about plastics in our environment and the phytoestrogens they mimic, eating flaxseeds can give you lignans, which help the body get rid of these toxic compounds.
There you have it, The Top 5 Foods For Men that you may not be eating but should.